Saturday, November 17, 2007

Yes, You Can Help

I have received many emails from friends throughout my stay here in Kenya (especially after my last email) asking how they can help. First, let me say that I am grateful for the offers and I feel so privileged to have so many reading who are interested and have such obvious concern.

And now let me say that I am ready to take you up on it. Through NYADEC I have a direct connection to the groups in need, and can see and am told exactly what they need. There have been times I have felt compelled to hand over the money, but I know that I would only be capable of helping a few. That is the reason Mike and I are making their web site. But, as it will take some time for the site to be ready, I would like to hand over what I can now, a decided amount based on the needs of the different groups, if just as a thank you for everything they are doing. And with so many offers from home, it would be wrong of me not to be that messenger.

But, I have never done anything like this before, and am unsure of how to go about it. A friend has suggested that I start a 'fund drive' where people can start donating whatever they can now. If anyone has information about how to do that, I am ready to do my part.

I want to add that I usually feel like I don't have enough to give to charity, and will admit that I have never donated a drop in my life. I do not expect everyone to take part in this. In fact, some of you I know should not based on your own personal financial situations. I just think there are many people with more than they need, and if they feel compelled, I would love to provide a charitable outlet.

I know that what most of what the groups need is funding. I know exactly what they need and what they need it for. Then there are items needed like gardening gloves, a computer, and a truck. If it helps this fund drive, I can provide that information, and people can donate towards certain activities or certain groups if they like. And then I can even do it in their name. I know that the groups here would love a name, even pictures. They just love to feel more connected to those that help them. If someone wants to donate by purchasing some of the beautiful wares made by these women, I can arrange that too.

I thank you for any useful information you might have in this area. And thank you again to my readers at home. I wouldn't ask for this if it weren't for all the offers.

Emily Sara

No comments: